Wednesday 29 April 2009

My First D5/T5 Cache.....sort of....

I've had one eye on the weather this week for two reasons....firstly, me and the better looking half of the household are thinking about a camping weekend, and secondly, I wanted to go "darn sarf" to complete the Chiltern 100 and grab the 5/5 Bonus Cache.

I watched the news last night (after the football, obviously!), and it seemed that today would be better than Thursday, so I got up nice and early...well, vaguely early....at 7am and set off for Buckinghamshire with plans made to grab enough additional Chiltern Hundred caches to convert my 97 into 100+ and to grab the bonus cache. I then had a nice little series of 13 caches in Ashley Green to do.

Anyway...parked up in Chesham at about 10am, and soon had two more to add to the total, making 99....one more needed. Toyed with moving the car, but another 4 were within a mile, so decided to walk the dog!

The next one was a DNF, ch050 on Westdean Lane, notoriously difficult for some reason. I bagged the next two (one to get me to a 100, and another as insurance).

I found myself a perch (a bench on the main road) and sat down in the sunshine and using the iPhone slowly entered the numbers I'd got from all 101 caches into a web page....I hit send....I waited.....slow connection....and it eventually tells me I've got 98 and need 2 more!!!!!!!

I must have typed a couple in wrong then....so I typed them in again....same result!!!!

Luckily I had a PAF on hand (Mark of Delta68) and fortunately he answered his phone. I was horrified to learn that he had heard that the Bonus cache had been muggled! Oh no!!!!!

He gave me the coords for the Bonus (I had found more than a 100, so surely this isn't cheating), and he said he'd get Donna (Mrs Delta68) to e-mail me the numbers they got from the caches.

I drove on to Chesham Station to grab No.102 of the series for me, by which time an e-mail had arrived, which upon scrutiny revealed that I had got one of my numbers wrong. I then typed 102 numbers (which matched Delta68's) into said web page, only to be told that I now had 99 correct, and I could bugger off, I wasn't getting the coords!

Little did the web page know, I already had them, so I drove off towards GZ and found myself a suitable parking spot. By now I'd checked the listing for the Bonus cache, and it was active, so maybe drsolly had replaced the Bonus cache already?

On arrive at GZ, I find a blue piece of string...that's all...(see photo):



Dissappointed, I walked back to the car, and pointed the X-Trail towards Ashley Green for the series.

Now, the day gets better, I had one DNF, but a tremendous 4 mile stroll around the countryside, fabulous views, and some good caches.

Even the cows were paying an interest (I think they were checking I'd signed the log, the cache was in the bush at the bottom of the photo...)



Much happier now, I decide to head back to Brum by using the A5 rather than the M1, and bag a few caches on the way home, which I did....a rubbish Off Yer Trolley (dull), and interesting micro (Birth of Radar), and the final cache of the day, Roman View, making 25 caches in all on a day of ups and downs.

Upon my return home, I logged my caches, and logged the Chiltern Hundred Bonus as a DNF, and contacted the cache owner, who has kindly allowed me to log it as a "Find", which I have done, although it would have been nicer to have actually got my hands on a box!!!!

Total caches found at time of log: 1954

No comments:

Post a Comment