Tuesday 12 May 2009

DNF Spectacular

There's a series of caches near me, along the canal near Drayton Manor Park. They've been there for a while, and I'd done them all...... until last weekend when the CO went out (maybe doing a little maintenance) and decided to place another one!

Now, you'd think that a cache on a canal would be fairly straightforward, and you'd be wrong in this instance. The parking for the cache is 1.61 miles from Ground Zero, which isn't a problem if you're doing the series, but it's one hell of a hike for one cache!

Needless to say, I couldn't resist popping out after work last night, only to be confronted by a cache with no hint, somewhere in the general area of a steel bridge surrounded by holes, trees, ivy and litter.

I spent 45 minutes searching, I even e-mailed the only previous finder via my iPhone in the hope that he was online to give me some assistance, but he wasn't.

I have since found out that the cache is on the steel beam of the bridge, but as I had a fingertip search of the beams, I'm not so sure, although I could have missed it.

So, 3.22 miles and two hours later, no find.

Caches found at time of posting....you guessed it.....2045...same as yesterday!

2 comments:

  1. 1.61 miles from GZ is nothin! At least...compared to this geocache: GCXAPJ
    20 miles for a smiley. Yep. I wonder about other caches that would require this large of a hike??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have a crack at that if it was in the UK!

    I've done the one on top of Ben Nevis, that was a 10 mile return trip.

    I might have a look for some more....

    ReplyDelete