Wednesday 13 May 2009

Scafell Pike

Way before I started this blog (last July in fact), my non-caching girlfriend decided it would be a great idea for her to visit relatives in Greece without me.

Who am I to discourage a week of relative freedom (for me, not her obviously)?

I therefore planned a week to attempt to find the highest geocaches in England, Wales and Scotland (which are where you would expect them to be, on Scafell Pike, Snowdon and Ben Nevis).

So, the geo-mutt and I set off on our quest, but to cut a long story short, we failed at Scafell Pike, as the weather during our 2 day stay at Wasdale Head wasn't conducive to climbing a mountain, so we spent the day in the Wasdale Head Inn and got drunk instead!

We did, however, manage to get to the top of Snowdon and Ben Nevis, but annoyingly both were under heavy cloud cover at the time, so there was nothing to see at the top other than the trig point.

This has been nagging at me for some time, so I've now managed to pursuade Julie to purchase a tent, a couple of sleeping bags and a few bits of camping paraphanalia, and visit the Lake District during the forthcoming Bank Holiday for another attempt.

I've got three alternatives.....
  1. Ascent from Wasdale Head and up Brown Tongue
  2. Ascent from Wasdale Head and Lingmell
  3. Ascent from Boot/Eskdale

Last time I went for option one, but due to the amount of rain we'd had, the stream was a raging torrent, and I reluctantly turned back.

Maybe option 2 this time......full report on my return!

No comments:

Post a Comment